The Mary Zavanelli Fund for Undergraduate Research in the Health Sciences
Mary Zavanelli, a lecturer in Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, was unexpectedly diagnosed with ALS in 2013, and by the end of Winter 2016, she was no longer able to continue teaching. Mary taught some of UC Santa Cruz's largest biology courses and has shaped the lives of students for more than 20 years.
Mary's family is forming an endowment to be named in her honor. Mary has requested that the fund be used to support undergraduate research in the health sciences. From her teaching experiences at UCSC, Mary knows that meaningful research opportunities for undergraduates are hard to find and yet can have a tremendous impact on students persisting in challenging science majors and ultimately on their career success.
Her family has offered to match up to $25,000.
There are 3 ways to give to the fund:
1. You can send a check made out to UC Santa Cruz Foundation with "Zavanelli Fund for Undergraduate Research in the Health Sciences-MC021ENDF" in the notes to my office at this address:
Rhonda Kinard, Development Assistant
PBSci Dean's Office
UC Santa Cruz
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, California 95064
2. You could also donate through the online giving form.
Where it says 'NOTES OR SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR GIFT', please write 'Zavanelli Fund for Undergraduate Research in the Health Sciences-MC021ENDF'.
3. You can direct your bank to make an electronic funds transfer to the UC Santa Cruz Foundation as follows:
- Anticipated date of transfer
- Amount of transfer
- Donor contact information