How to Declare the Biology Minor

  1. You must be declared a major.
  2. After your major is declared, contact your major adviser for an updated academic plan. Make sure the plan is completed with classes required for your major, signed by your major adviser and accessible to MCD advising (share with
  3. Review the Biology Minor Academic Planning Checklist: Click Here
  4. Add the courses for the Biology Minor to your academic plan to demonstrate that you will have time to complete the minor requirements.
  5. Petition to declare the Biology Minor in your MyUCSC portal - See Instructions Below

Biology Minor Requirements:

  • CHEM 1A: General Chemistry
  • CHEM 1B: General Chemistry
  • CHEM 1C: General Chemistry
  • BIOL 20A: Cell and Molecular Biology
  • BIOE 20B: Development and Physiology
  • BIOE 20C: Ecology and Evolution
  • BIOL 20L: Experimental Biology Lab
  • CHEM 8A: Organic Chemistry
  • BIOL 100: Biochemistry
  • BIOL 105: Genetics
  • BIOE 107: Ecology
  • BIOE 109: Evolution
  • 1 Additional Upper Division Elective (Chosen from BIOL or BIOE Courses Numbered 100-181)
Biology Minor Academic Planning Checklist: Click Here


Instructions for Petitioning to Declare the Biology Minor

Beginning June 1st, 2022, students can log into MyUCSC and submit the Petition for Major/Minor via MyUCSC (be sure you are logged into your MyUCSC account before clicking the link). 

Another way to access the Petition for Major/Minor via MyUCSC is by logging into your MyUCSC, navigating to the Student Homepage and selecting the Undergraduate Student eForms tile, then Petition of Major/Minor (see screenshots below).




For assistance, please contact the MCD Biology advising team at .

Once submitted, petitions are generally reviewed within 10 business days (business days are considered regular working days Monday through Friday).  



Campus Minor Policy: 

MCD BIO Department Minor Policy: 


NOTE: You must have 25 credits of unique Upper Division course work for the minor and 40 credits of unique Upper Division course work for the major.