Transferring Credit and Substitution Request

It may be possible for students to satisfy a major requirement with a course taken at another institution.  Prior to enrolling in an outside course, make sure the course you plan to take articulates (i.e., is equivalent to a course at UCSC or is an approved elective for your major).

NOTE: To transfer any credit, a course MUST be completed with a grade of C or better. Grades of C- are not accepted.

For more information on transferring credit:

If you are taking a course at another institution that is a prerequisite for a course you plan to take in any academic quarter at UCSC, you will not be able to enroll until you have submitted your unofficial transcript (showing the name of the school, your name, the date, the name of the course, and the grade you earned) to

Course Substitution & Transfer Credit Policy

At least half of the upper-division courses required for the major must be taken  at UC Santa Cruz, not as transfer credits from another  institution. If a student plans to transfer to UCSC from another institution, the student is advised to contact MCD Advising at UCSC before enrolling in upper-division courses at the student’s institution or any institution other than UCSC. This advising will help students understand the limitation of transferring upper-division courses from other institutions to UCSC. For more information on transferring courses to UCSC, please consult the undergraduate website.

Once matriculated, a student must receive permission from the department to satisfy the BIOL 20ABIOL 100BIOL 105BIOL 101 or BIOL 110 requirements with courses taken at other institutions. Students who wish to receive credit toward the major for these or other courses taken either at UCSC or at another institution should contact MCD Advising.